I've been using the configure line from nouveau wiki for a while now :
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumHowto

./configure --enable-debug --enable-glx-tls --disable-asm
--with-dri-drivers= --enable-gallium-nouveau --disable-gallium-intel
--disable-gallium-radeon --disable-gallium-svga
--with-state-trackers=glx,dri --with-demos=xdemos,demos,trivial,tests

        Gallium:         yes
        Gallium dirs:    auxiliary drivers state_trackers
        Target dirs:      dri-nouveau egl-nouveau dri-swrast egl-swrast
        Winsys dirs:     sw sw/xlib sw/dri sw/drm nouveau/drm
        Driver dirs:     softpipe failover trace identity nouveau nvfx nv50
        Trackers dirs:   glx dri

        Shared libs:     yes
        Static libs:     no
        EGL:             glx dri2
        GLU:             yes
        GLw:             yes (Motif: no)
        glut:            yes
        Demos:           no

This setup broke after that last merge I think :

make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/xavier/app/mesa/src/gallium/targets/egl-nouveau'
gcc -c  -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -std=c99 -ffast-math
-fvisibility=hidden -fno-strict-aliasing -g  -fPIC   -D_GNU_SOURCE
-DPTHREADS -DDEBUG -DHAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN -DGLX_USE_TLS -DPTHREADS
-DUSE_EXTERNAL_DXTN_LIB=1 -DIN_DRI_DRIVER -DGLX_DIRECT_RENDERING
-DGLX_INDIRECT_RENDERING -DHAVE_ALIAS -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPTHREADS -DDEBUG
-DHAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN -DGLX_USE_TLS -DPTHREADS
-DUSE_EXTERNAL_DXTN_LIB=1 -DIN_DRI_DRIVER -DGLX_DIRECT_RENDERING
-DGLX_INDIRECT_RENDERING -DHAVE_ALIAS dummy.c -o dummy.o
make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`../../../../src/gallium/state_trackers/egl/libeglx11.a', needed by
`egl_x11_nouveau.so'.  Stop.

It seems egl is enabled by default, but manually specifying
state-trackers without egl disables egl state tracker, and build
fails.
I am not sure why it worked before.

I don't know if configure.ac should handle the above configure line
somehow, either reporting it as invalid or enabling egl state tracker
anyway.