>> So basically the r300 optimization work looks doomed from the
>> beginning to be eventually obsoleted.
>
> Please consider there are hw-specific optimizations in place which I think
> no other compiler framework provides, and I believe this SSA thing will do

Sure, but it seemed to me that all the optimizations proposed were
hardware-independent and valid for any driver (other than having to
know about generic capabilities like having control flow or not).

> even better job for superscalar r600. So yes, we need both LLVM to do global
> optimizations and RC to efficiently map code to hw.

LLVM also uses SSA form (actually, it is totally built around it),
assuming that's what you meant.

There are doubts about whether the LLVM backend framework works well
for GPUs or not (apparently because some GPUs are VLIW and only IA-64
is VLIW too, so LLVM support for it is either nonexisting or not
necessary a major focus), but using LLVM->TGSI makes this irrelevant,
since the existing TGSI-accepting backend will still run.