Suppose a ray just barely hits/misses a sphere.  Depending on the GPU
arithmetic and whether the outcome is a hit or miss, the resulting
pixel color could be completely different.

A per-pixel error margin won't account for this.  But as you
suggested, if you allow a certain number or percent of pixel
comparisons to fail, that might do the job here.

How about implementing that?  I'd also suggest putting the comparison
code into a new piglit utility function (or at least put the code in a
separate function that could be promoted to piglit-util.c someday).

BTW, the piglit_probe_pixel_rgb() function should really take a
tolerance parameter, rather than it being hard-coded inside the
function.  Another piglit utility function to compute tolerances from
various parameters would be good... but that's another project.

-Brian