It would help a lot if you'd disclose what chip you're trying to communicate with. (My wild guess would be a maxim ultrasound chip, am I far of the mark here?)

Are you sure this isn't just compatible with existing SPI mode/phase settings?

And you have a huge FPGA at your disposal if you have a Xilinx device of any kind. I'd suggest just solving this in a bit of FPGA logic instead of in userspace C code.