> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. Mai 2017 um 07:24 Uhr
> Von: "Mike Looijmans" <mike.looijm...@topic.nl>
> An: "Nathan Rossi" <nat...@nathanrossi.com>, "Arno Steffens" <s...@gmx.li>
> Cc: meta-xilinx@yoctoproject.org
> Betreff: Re: [meta-xilinx] SPI problem
>
> On 10-05-17 15:23, Nathan Rossi wrote:
> > On 10 May 2017 at 17:18, Arno Steffens <s...@gmx.li> wrote:
> >> Thanks Mike for the feedback.
> >> It is an OnSemi Phyton camera chip.
> >> Unfortunately FPGA is not suitable solution for me. The layout is already
> >> fixed and I am not an FPGA expert.
> >> Checking the SPI registers in Technical Manual: it seems that there is no
> >> separate setting for CPOL/CPH for MOSI and MISO.
> >> The only way I see is to send address, keep CS low, change SPI mode, read.
> >> But there is another limitation. In struct spi_ioc_transfer there is a
> >> setting: bits_per_word. I need 10 for doing that
> >> as described for the first part (9 bit adress + 1 r/w bit). This returns
> >> an error "could not transmit data". Any value expect 8 is returning an
> >> error.
> >> Is this a limitation by hardware or an issue in driver, which can be fixed?
> >
> > For the Zynq PS SPI controllers there is a hard limit to 8-bit words
> > (kernel driver advertises this here:
> > http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/spi/spi-cadence.c#L565).
> >
> > If you need 10b words and you do not want to do it with an FPGA
> > device, you can always use the kernels spi-bitbang module. But this is
> > likely only good for low bandwidth control SPI, so if you are using
> > SPI to pull image data from the camera this is probably not what you
> > want. Also you could easily modify the spi-bitbang module to handle
> > this CPOL inversion, such that it always samples MISO on the falling
> > edge.
>
> Camera chips usually only use the SPI interface for configuration, so I'd go
> with Nathan's suggestion and use Linux' bit-bang SPI controller for setting
> camera parameters and such. Let the kernel pinmix the pins as GPIO and assign
> them via devicetree to the bitbang controller.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Mike Looijmans
> System Expert

In fact it is just for configuration.
Thanks, so it is clear that I can't hope to solve it without changing the
bitstream (although remapping is not a big deal). Do you have an idea what
frequency can be achieved by this driver?
And I am a bit afraid of negative side-effect to more "realtime" related stuff
on ARM.
Kind regards
Arno