From: meta-xilinx-boun...@yoctoproject.org
[mailto:meta-xilinx-boun...@yoctoproject.org] On Behalf Of Nathan Rossi
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:48 PM
To: Peter Smith <sale...@gmail.com>
Cc: meta-xilinx@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [meta-xilinx] Why no support for FSBL?

On 21 November 2017 at 07:08, Peter Smith <sale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I’m aware of the meta-xilinx-tools layer, but this needs you to
> have the Xilinx SDK installed (unless I’m mistaken), I was wondering
> ion there were any plans to create support in meta-xilinx for building
> the FSBL without the need for the SDK dependency. Peter
>

> On 20 Nov 2017, at 21:05, Giordon Stark <kra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi (resending from right address),
>
> You can indeed build the FSBL + boot.bin using the meta-xilinx-tools layer:
> https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx-tools
>
> Giordon
>
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 3:03 PM Peter Smith <sale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A question, I was wondering why there is no support for building FSBL
>> in a similar way to that provided by meta-xilinx for the PMU
>> firmware, is there a technical reason or is it just one of those
>> things that has not yet been got around to? Thanks in advance Peter.

So it all comes down to bootgen. The boot.bin built by the bootgen tool from
XSDK/etc. has an FSBL specific image table which is how it encodes multiple
images for u-boot.elf, bitstream, etc. Because this bootgen tool is not
available as public code and the special headers/image table are subject to the
whim of the FSBL built (and indirectly the target version of the Xilinx tools);
it is not easy to provide support for building a complete boot.bin with FSBL
outside of the Xilinx tools.

Building FSBL in the same way as PMU Firmware (as in meta-xilinx) is possible
and years ago I had a very rough recipe for it. However since U-Boot SPL
support appeared (and subsequent support for boot.bin generation with U-Boot's
mkimage) it was much more palatable for Linux users, as for most cases FSBL was
used to load U-Boot anyway and U-Boot SPL does a better job at that.

Now with meta-xilinx-tools covering FSBL/bootgen I don't see much of a benefit
in having FSBL built how PMU firmware is in meta-xilinx. Since the reasons
behind the users choice to use FSBL are generally because it is the flow which
Xilinx provides, and so it makes more sense to use the better supported flow of
building/configuring it.

Regards,
Nathan