Hi Andrey,

On 11/30/2017 11:56 AM, Andrey Filippov wrote:
Manju,

For 4 years we use Xilin Zynq with our hardware and never ever used FSBL or SDK. When we started in 2013 (https://blog.elphel.com/2013/10/fpga-is-for-freedom/) we quickly noticed that there is no way to distribute Zynq-based products and stay compliant with U-boot GPLv2 license - that would require to distribute binary that combines U-boot code with that of FSBL, so we had to develop our GPL code. We also included more debug features to troubleshoot bringing to life yet untested hardware. Later when U-boot SPL became available we upgraded our code to use it (again - no dependence on SDK) - https://blog.elphel.com/2016/03/nand-flash-support-for-xilinx-zynq-in-u-boot-spl/

Later Xilinx fixed the legal incompatibility by licensing auto-generated code under GNU GPL, so it is now possible to link FSBL and U-Boot code. But it still has inconvenience of dependence on non-free SDK.

I am not aware of the history on Zynq platform, thanks for letting me know.

I am under the assumption that SDK is free, https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools.html

I agree that meta-xilinx-tools depends on SDK which is not lightweight, we are looking at different approaches to resolve the issue (including a standalone Yocto distribution).

Any suggestions on how you all want to see the development flow is always appreciated, we will do our best to incorporate the changes.

Thanks,
Manju

Andrey

---- On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 10:57:14 -0800 *Manjukumar Harthikote Matha <manjukumar.harthikote-ma...@xilinx.com>* wrote ----

    Hi Mike,

    On 11/28/2017 01:09 AM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
     > The "open source" way is to avoid the FSBL (and in fact, all of
     > meta-xilinx-tools) and use u-boot SPL instead. All functionality
     > provided by the fsbl/bootgen flow is provided by u-boot SPL already.

    "All functionality" would be a blanket statement, there are many driver
    support that is officially tested by Xilinx in fsbl/bootgen flow,
    including safety and security support

    Thanks,
    Manju

     > On 20-11-17 22:08, Peter Smith wrote:
     >> Hi, I’m aware of the meta-xilinx-tools layer, but this needs you to
     >> have the Xilinx SDK installed (unless I’m mistaken), I was
    wondering
     >> ion there were any plans to create support in meta-xilinx for
    building
     >> the FSBL without the need for the SDK dependency. Peter
     >>
     >>> On 20 Nov 2017, at 21:05, Giordon Stark <kra...@gmail.com
    <mailto:kra...@gmail.com>
     >>> <mailto:kra...@gmail.com <mailto:kra...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
     >>>
     >>> Hi (resending from right address),
     >>>
     >>> You can indeed build the FSBL + boot.bin using the
    meta-xilinx-tools

    <mailto:mike.looijm...@topicproducts.com>

    meta-xilinx@yoctoproject.org <mailto:meta-xilinx@yoctoproject.org>