On 18 March 2018 at 04:57, Giordon Stark <kra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Based on Jorge's suggestion (cc'd), I uncommented my lines in
> device-tree.bbappend to set compatible machine = ".*" for my particular
> boards as it is being done upstream... and bitbake seems to be happier with
> that, but then I run into this error

Yes that change was done for rocko. It was done to prevent
expectations around device-tree supporting machines where the user has
not provided the device tree files to build, in order to make it clear
what pieces are needed to build for custom machines.

> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'virtual/xilinx-platform-init' (but
> /local/d4/gstark/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-xlnx_2017.3.bb
> DEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
> platform-init PROVIDES virtual/xilinx-platform-init but was skipped:
> incompatible with machine gfex-prototype3a (not in COMPATIBLE_MACHINE)
> ERROR: Required build target 'zynq-base' has no buildable providers.
> Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['zynq-base',
> 'virtual/bootloader', 'virtual/xilinx-platform-init']
>
> So I suppose I need to add a platform-init/platform-init.bbappend file that
> overrides the compatible machine again as well...
>
> This seems slightly hacky, and maybe indicative that I've done something
> wrong in defining a machine on top of zcu102-zynqmp somehow... but this
> worked in pyro, so there must be a change between pyro and rocko... any
> ideas?

There were some changes to the u-boot spl platform detection logic,
this may have changed your use case. But if you don't want u-boot SPL
for zynqmp, don't set SPL_BINARY to boot.bin.

If you do want SPL make sure you are doing one of the following:

* using a defconfig that provides platform init files (e.g.
xilinx_zynqmp_zcu102_rev1_0_defconfig), u-boot-xlnx had some churn to
which configs provided platform-init files, check you are using the
desired one
* appending to platform-init to include the files in your layer, and
that platform-init has COMPATIBLE_MACHINE set to match your machine
* patching u-boot to include the platform init files, and that you are
adding the defconfig that provides them to the HAS_PLATFORM_INIT
variable.

Regards,
Nathan