Comments inline.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 4:18 AM Nathan Rossi <nat...@nathanrossi.com> wrote:

> On 19 March 2018 at 01:42, Giordon Stark <kra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Nathan,
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 6:29 AM Nathan Rossi <nat...@nathanrossi.com>
> wrote:

> particular
> >>
> >> Yes that change was done for rocko. It was done to prevent
> >> expectations around device-tree supporting machines where the user has
> >> not provided the device tree files to build, in order to make it clear
> >> what pieces are needed to build for custom machines.
> >

> > Can you point to the specific change made? It's not clear to me that
> adding
> >
> > COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_my-machine = ".*"
> >
> > actually makes this situation clearer, rather than say
> >
> > COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_my-machine = "my_machine"
>
> The change that made requirement of COMPATIBLE_MACHINE to be set is:
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-xilinx/commit/?id=eb0abe0230

I see. How is this change affecting the zynqmp boards? I don't see a
bbappends adding COMPATIBLE_MACHINE for them?

> There is not a lot of difference between the two ways of setting
> COMPATIBLE_MACHINE as you have described above.
>
> Just be careful not to use "_" in machine names, or you will hit issues.
>

> > So I went ahead and set SPL_BINARY = "" to clear it out, and updated
> > platform-init but then I got a boot-bin recipe related error as well as
> the
> > fact that platform-init can't find the ps*init files. I guess a lot of
> this
> > is now requiring tighter integration with the SDK which is slightly
> breaking
> > my use case..
>
> I don't think there is any integration between the SDK tooling and the
> platform-init recipe or for that matter the
> virtual/xilinx-platform-init provider. But u-boot-xlnx will _not_
> provide virtual/boot-bin if it does not have the platform-init files,
> though that is intended in your case. You might need to select a
> different provider for virtual/boot-bin if you are using the SDK
> tooling layer and depending on that virtual target.
>

> > I'm currently using the FSBL method at the moment, so I'm doing this via
> > CROPS (virtual machine + automating the build in continuous integration)
> and
> > then taking the bitbake outputs and loading them up into my SDK on a
> > different machine to make the BOOT.bin. Is this not possible anymore with
> > all of these changes and requiring the zcu102-zynqmp.conf? Should I just
> go
> > one step higher and set all of these things myself manually and drop
> > platform-init/boot-bin/spl?
>
> If you are not building your machine exactly like the
> zcu102-zynqmp.conf then you are likely better off copying it and
> modifying it the way you want instead of including it. But looking at
> your layers master branch it appears you have already made that
> change. So I am not sure of the exact question you are asking here?

Yes, very observant :) I've been switching things over because I'm now
realizing my (lazy!) days of copying the zcu102-zynqmp.conf is probably
coming to an end... I suspect my problem is that I had to add the
"zcu102-zynqmp" to the machine overrides for when I initially copied things
over, and that caused issues down the line with things like platform-init
and so on -- with all the changes to COMPATIBLE_MACHINE.

--
Giordon Stark