Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 21:24:27 +0000
From: "Curran, Tom (EM)" <tom.cur...@avnet.com>
To: "meta-xil...@lists.yoctoproject.org"
Subject: Re: [meta-xilinx] Ultra96 UART

Yes, the user STDIN/STDOUT UART is psu_uart_1 in the image that gets built via
meta-xilinx, etc., BUT the UART is mapped out through EMIO to the low speed
expansion header:

#HD_GPIO_5 on FPGA / Connector pin 13 / UART1_rxd
set_property PACKAGE_PIN G5 [get_ports UART1_rxd]
#HD_GPIO_4 on FPGA / Connector pin 11 / UART1_txd
set_property PACKAGE_PIN F6 [get_ports UART1_txd]

You can get a look at the hardware platform by installing the posted PetaLinux
BSP for the Ultra96 board:
https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/xef.html?filename=xilinx-ultra96-reva-v2018.2-final.bsp

See Xilinx UG1144 for the BSP install instructions:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf

To use the Avnet USB UART/JTAG adapter the UART needs to be changed from EMIO
to MIO[0:1] in the PSU config of the Vivado design.  Then it should be possible
to regenerate the hdf file and drop it in the correct folder and run a new
bitbake build.

--Tom