Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstan...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Something I stumbled on today is the need to have the -httpd and -nntpd
> daemons reread the config file after we've mirrored and initialized new
> inboxdirs. The situation is:

Correct, config files are read once at startup.

> - public-inbox-{httpd,nntpd} are running as systemd services as user
>   "publicinbox"
> - the mirroring and initialization/indexing is done as user "mirror", so we
>   can't send a HUP to the daemon processes

I seem to recall HUP having some trouble with -httpd (and less
so with nntpd/imapd); or at least that's what -daemon(8) manpage
alludes to...

I usually just swap between "@foo" and "@bar" systemd units, but I
restart more often for code changes than config file changes.

> The best I can think of is a systemd watcher service that automatically
> restarts the daemons when the config file is modified, but I wanted to check
> here first to see if perhaps I'm missing something simpler.

Yes, a systemd.path unit might be the way to go.  A patch for
examples/ would be appreciated if you go down that route :>