On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 03:09:59AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > Yes, actually thinking about this some more, perhaps it makes sense to
> > expose
> > this as an RSS feed feature (maybe even exclusively as an RSS feed
> > feature?).
>
> I assume Atom is OK?  I don't know of any widely-used feed readers
> which only do RSS without Atom support.  IIRC Atom is less ambiguous
> and supports the in-reply-to extension.

Yes, sorry, I know they aren't the same thing, but in my head Atom is just a
form of RSS (perhaps for the same reason why everyone says "rss reader" but
nobody says "atom reader").

> That said, the Atom feeds generated by this RFC includes full
> messages because that's the easiest way to tie into our existing
> Atom generation code, so it's currently slower than the HTML
> version which never retrieves git blobs.

That's fine, actually, because this lets people read the full message to
figure out if they are interested in the rest of the thread or not.

> > Have two different feeds:
> >
> > - new topics: just all the new threads
> > - hot topics: NN most active threads (kinda lkml.org's "hottest messages")
>
> I'm not sure if `hot' means it's the most read (not just replied-to);
> but tracking read counts isn't something that scales on decentralized
> systems.  So I'm naming it "active" instead...

Sounds good to me.

> > Have this available per-list and for the extindex -- I think this would be
> > a great feature that we can point people at as a mechanism to keep an eye on
> > overall activity.
>
> Yeah, lots of the WWW and lei code works transparently between extindex
> and regular inboxes:
>
> extindex:
> https://yhbt.net/lore/all/topics_new.atom
> https://yhbt.net/lore/all/topics_active.atom