On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Dave Cragg wrote:

> I've been playing (doing research) with mp3 files. (Kind of
> addictive. :))  mp3 is supported by both QuickTime and the latest
> Media Player from Microsoft.  I have both these loaded under NT 4.0.
> Using a player object under 2.3 works fine as expected. I was
> wondering what would happen with the "play videoclip" command.
>
> "play videoclip <mp3filename>"
>
> Under 2.3b, this also plays fine. But under 2.2.5, I get an error.
>
> What I really want to know is whether under 2.3 the "play videoclip"
> command is making use of QuickTime or of Windows own media resources.
> In other words, will it play without QuickTime?

The "play videoClip" command in 2.3 just creates a temporary player
object and starts that up.  So it therefore uses QuickTime if that's
installed.  If it's not, it falls back to using the built-in MCI/VfW
libraries.  I don't have any details on what formats/codecs those
support on the various OS versions.  It's possible that some versions
of Windows can play relatively new formats like MP3 without QT, but I
wouldn't count on it.

> I guess I could remove QuickTime to find out, but I don't relish the
> prospect of reinstalling.

It's not so bad, really, though I do wish it were easier to keep
different versions of QT on the same system for testing purposes.
  Regards,
    Scott

Scott Raney  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.metacard.com