On Monday, Nov 15 1999, Peter Reid wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to use custom cursors and I'm struggling with how to set
> these up correctly.  For example, when I mouseDown over a particular
> object I'd like to cursor to change to a different design and stay
> that way until the user does a mouseUp.  I have designed black &
> white cursors and I might use a script such as the following
>
>    on mouseDown
>      lock cursor
>      set the cursor to the id of image "NewCursor"
>    end mouseDown
>
>    on mouseUp
>      unlock cursor
>    end mouseUp
>
> This works fine except I can't get the cursor to look correct unless
> I invert the colours, i.e. black to white and vice versa. Is this
> because the mouse is Down and MC or the OS is causing an inversion?
>
> What are the rules for designing and applying custom cursors, in particular:
> - what sizes can they be? (for Mac & Win cross-platform)

To be cross-platform, use 16x16.

> - what colours should be used? (black, white, transparent?)
> - what file format should be used? (e.g. GIF with transparent colour
> for edges?)

Black and white, with a single transparent color, GIF is OK.  See the recent
posts on this subject (they cover painting into the image in MetaCard after
its been imported to get it into MC's internal file format).

Regards,

Kevin

> Thanks for any help
>
> Peter
> Peter Reid
> Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
> Tel: +44 (0)1509 268843 Fax: +44 (0)1509 264986
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.xworlds.com/>
Cross Worlds Computing, MetaCard Distributors, Custom Development.
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.