>On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Peter Reid wrote:
>
>(big snip)
>
>  > I was surprised that MC stacks/windows can't have scrollbars and the
>  > vScroll property.  I've used this feature in SuperCard, HyperCard and
>  > ToolBook developments.  This is why I tried to use a 'sub-window'
>  > approach initially.
>
>This has been discussed (ad nauseum) on this list in the past, but you
>really already discovered the key issue in the diagram you posted to
>the list: if you want to have a menubar and toolbar and status bar in
>the window along with the scrollable area, the
>HyperCard/SuperCard/ToolBook design of making the whole window scroll
>is essentially useless.  Only the MetaCard way of having independent
>scrolling groups does what you need, even though it's a little more
>difficult to set up.
>   Regards,
>     Scott

As a relatively new user of MC I wasn't aware of the previous
discussions on this subject, otherwise I'd have saved myself some
scrambling around in the dark!

You're absolutely right that the HyperCard/SuperCard/ToolBook
approach provides its own level of pain.

What would make life easier would be the option to scroll the window
whilst editing a background/group so you don't need to keep switching
between edit and run mode just to move up or down a bit.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
Tel: +44 (0)1509 268843 Fax: +44 (0)1509 264986
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk