On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

> I imported a HyperCard stack which contains a number of round-rect
> buttons. I assigned background colors to them, but made no other
> alterations to the default settings. Some of the buttons draw with a
> black border, some with a white border. Why? I have checked a number of
> them and they all have identical property settings, including background
> color. Setting the bordercolor, topcolor, etc. doesn't help. The client
> ideally wants 3D buttons but that doesn't seem to be supported for
> round-rects. Even so, we'd like them all to look the same visually.
> Sometimes two identical buttons right next to each other on the same
> card look different. How come? BTW, it seems that buttons with white
> borders always have icons. However, not all buttons with icons have
> white borders.

Never seen this one, please send an example to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
But what you really want is "standard" style, which are 3D rounded
rects on the Mac, 3D rectangles on the other platforms.

> Second problem -- the stack contains a number of bitmapped images as
> card art. During the import, most of the bitmaps imported as
> transparent, except for a handful that imported with white backgrounds.
> I can't get rid of the white backgrounds on a Windows machine. Why would
> they import differently? These are all bitmaps extracted from the cards,
> not imported from graphics files.

The white areas are where the original developer erased or painted
white.  Though you can't see this in the original because the paint
layer is always the bottom layer in HyperCard, the HyperCard image
compression routines do retain this data and MetaCard retains it on
import.  You have three options: set the background color of the card
or stack to white (so you won't see it), delete the image, or use
MetaCard's painting features to erase it (only available on Mac in
2.3).  Right click (control click on the Mac) with the bucket tool the
quickest way to eliminate the white areas as it removes areas from the
mask, making them transparent.
  Regards,
    Scott