Geoff Canyon wrote:

> They're looking for some things that don't currently exist in MetaCard
> (source code management, bug tracking, etc.) and they want open source
> (although the Python requirement is actually just that it be
> scriptable with Python), but I still think these people need to check
> out MetaTalk's simplicity to power ratio.

I don't like to be negative, but I think Metacard's closed source will
count heavily against it, and not just in the sense that some
bean-counter disqualifies it for failing to meet the specs. The European
Space Agency, for instance, refuses to use any closed source software,
because Open Source is the only way they can guarantee that the software
tools they use will work over the 15 or 20 year lifespan of many
projects. I'd imagine that the Department of Energy will have similar
concerns.

Quite frankly, Scott Rainey does a great job at supporting and upgrading
Metacard, but what guarantee do developers have that Metacard Corp will
still be around in 12 months time, let alone 12 years time?

This isn't an attack on Scott. All software developers have to deal with
Open Source in their own way, and still make a living.

--
Steven D'Aprano