> It appears that on 2/11/00 3:12 AM, Raymond E. Griffith [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> said:
>
>> I checked my code time and again, only to come up more and more frustrated.
>> Then I realized I was trying to "send" to a handler in a disabled button.
>> Not only does disabling a button keep it from receiving a mouseup message,
>> it prevents it from receiving ANY messages!

> And Geoff Canyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> queried:
>
> What version of MetaCard are you using? I don't see that here, either
> with 2.2.5, or one of the 2.3 betas (on the Mac).

I used the last beta available.

> I wrote two buttons. The first, "bob", had this script:
>
> on mouseUp
> disable me
> end mouseUp
>
> on doIt
> beep
> end doIt
>
> The second button's script was:
>
> on mouseUp
> send "doIt" to btn "bob"
> end mouseUp
>
> Both before and after clicking "bob" clicking the second button caused
> "bob" to beep.

I know it sounds strange. But I had to move my "doIt" handler out of my
disabled button in order to get a response. Once I moved my handler, the new
problems were displayed as they should have been.

It may be related to the fact that a good deal of my code resides in custom
properties (remember, I have the Starter Kit). I had to call a "do" for a
custom property with this handler.

Just the fact that I was able to get this fairly complex page to work
properly was a major victory for me. I had done it in Hypercard, with the
advantages of having "unlimited" scripting space. Until my finances improve,
I must explore the intricacies of MetaCard under the Starter Kit. Yet even
with the disadvantages involved in script size limits, MetaCard allowed me
to do things better -- with cross-platform capabilities to boot!

> gc

Thanks for responding,

Raymond

This is the MetaCard mailing list.