At 8:27 AM -0700 3/13/00, Craig Spooner wrote:

>It still seems to me there must be a way to send an AppleEvent to the
>OS to launch another type of application -- perhaps using file type
>and/or creator codes.  The required information must be stored
>somewhere, otherwise how can the OS launch an application when you
>double-click a file's icon in the Finder?  I've always been under the
>impression the Finder (or is it the Desktop file?) was a sort of
>"registry" for the Mac.  Is there truly no way to launch a
>non-browser/email application from MC without knowing its path?

Hi Craig

The problem here is that most Finder AppleEvents require a particular
data structure as a file reference. Metacard can only send text data
as part of an AppleEvent, which won't do for most Finder related
AppleEvents. The internet events are an exception.

One way to open a file from Metacard as if double clicking on it in
the Finder is to build a companion AppleScript application for your
stack. This application reads a file name from a text file, coerces
the filename to a proper file reference, and then tells the Finder to
open the file. From Metacard, you write the filename to the text
file, and then launch the AppleScript application.

However, it's probably much easier to get Tuviah Snyder's external
collection which provides AppleEvent and AppleScript support. I
haven't used these particular commands and functions, but if they
work as well as the commands and functions on his Windows external
then I'm sure they'll do the job fine. (available at
<http://www.xworlds.com>)

Cheers
Dave Cragg