> Assume I create some fields and buttons in MC that simulate the form.

Correct.

> Next I would use MC "post" command to send this data to the server.

Correct.

> How should the data be formatted before submission?  If I could find

Something like:
fldname=encodedData&fldname2=encodedData2

In MC, use urlEncode() function to encode your text from field, and tag it
with the field name.
Separate each field and data set with a &

> out exactly what the web browser was sending (how it formulates the
> data) I could figure this out for myself, if anyone knows of a web
> site/tools that could help here please, fire away! ( I found an echo
> cgi script on my Apple web server, but the formatting of the data
> that this returns looks strange and I'm a bit suspicious the web
> server has reformatted it somehow.)

I notice MC is capable to send anything to web server (not encoded), and
WebSTAR web server from Mac is capable to receive anything from POST. Most
browser - however, encode the form to the above format before send.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
LiangTyan Fui