On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Recently, Geoff Canyon at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Is there some
> > secret to making a .ico file the right size?
>
> The only way I've been able to find is by creating the 32 pixel image only
> (don't create the 16 pixel icon -- apparently you're supposed to let the OS
> handle the scaling), using only the base 16 windows colors, and doing minor
> editing/removal of pixelization until the size fits.
>
> In an era of 8 bit icons (and even 24 bit, even on Windows) why is this size
> restriction still in place?

The size restriction of 766 bytes is because that's all the standalone
builder understands (it replaces the icon in place in the executable,
rather than deconstucting the executable and then rebuilding it).  If
you can use an editor that can edit an icon in place (like AX Icons),
you can use other sizes, but you must change the icon *after* building
the standalone.

> I seem to recall reading that there may be certain Windows apps that create
> icons with the required specs, but if someone does indeed have a formula for
> this, I'm sure the list would appreciate hearing what it is.

The standard 766 byte icon should be very easy to produce if you just
specify 32x32x16 colors when creating the icon.
  Regards,
    Scott