At 9:53 AM -0600 5/4/00, Scott Raney wrote:

>> Whats neededis a "global static" mode.
>
>The solution is much simpler: just lock messages before you go to the
>card.  For example running "lock messages; go next" in the message box
>will do what you want.  Tuv Snyder told me he even put a button in the
>Navigator palette that allows selecting this behavior, a modification
>I recommend if you do this kind of thing a lot.
>  Regards,
>    Scott

If you don't want to mess around with the development environment,
another approach is to make a "utility stack" for each project you
are working on. You can add buttons to these stacks that perform
frequently used operations. (Anything you find yourself typing in the
message box repeatedly).

For navigating through cards while suppressing messages:

lock messages
go next card of stack myStack

Other functions I commonly add to such stacks:

deleting a stack from memory after it has been closed
deleting globals that are created by the stack being developed
(Both of these are useful for creating a clean environment when
testing initialization routines. They can save you having to restart
Metacard.)

opening scripts for editing of stacks that are currently closed
(modal dialogs, for example)

and so on :)

The ease of being able to make such stacks in Metacard can be a real
productivity boost.

Cheers
Dave Cragg