On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Christoph Wollek wrote:

> A strange thing happens:
>
> when burning a CD from MAC with the Mac, Wind and Linux Version of a
> stack - the stack open from the CD an the Macintosh within 8 secs, but
> on the other platforms in about 40 secs.
>
> Is there a way to speed up the opening phase? Has it to do with File
> selection?

More likely it's just the speed of the CDROM drive on those other
systems...

> (The standalone clicked, opens stack A, that has as a line in
> preopenstack, to get a line of 3 other stacks (B-D), so that those
> stacks are available from stack A without delay (they are of about 10
> MB).

Let's see: 10MB at 150K/s (single speed) is 67 seconds, not counting
seeks which will add a second or two on a file that size.  Unless you
mean 10MB each, in which case you're talking over 200 seconds at
single speed, and even about 50 seconds at 4X (and pay no attention to
the claims of those "40X" drives: they're like those 56K modems (which
are only 53K down and only 33K up) and those 17" monitors (which
really only have about a 15" viewing area).

I'd say you're probably better off *not* loading all those stacks on
preOpenStack, and probably not loading them all at the same time in
any case (that's a lot of data to just have hanging around and it can
probably be much more efficiently organized).
  Regards,
    Scott