At 6:34 PM -0500 7/19/00, J. Scott Saults wrote:
>Both HyperCard and SuperCard on the Macintoish allow up to 20 sounds
>to be queued for continuous playback by the execution of a sequence
>of 'play' commands. As soon as all of the sounds have been loaded
>into memory (a fraction of a second on newer cpu's), control is
>returned to the handler.  The sounds are then played end to end,
>seamlessly, while other commands or events are processed.
>
>When I try the same thing in MetaCard, each new play commands
>interrupts playback of the previous sound. Is there any way to queue
>a series of sounds in MetaCard, or to achieve the same result, as
>I've often done with HyperCard and MetaCard?

You can play a series of sounds by using a playStopped handler to
detect when one sound clip has finished, and then playing the next in
the sequence.

I don't know how seamless this is with musical clips, but it works
fine for me with voice clips.

In my case, the sounds are already in a stack, but I guess the
"import" command could be used to load the clips when you need them.
Or perhaps the "prepare" command would allow you to load the next
clip while the current one is playing.

Cheers
Dave Cragg