OK, already....

>My guess is, if you're looking to be able to parse the HTML from any
>existing Web page, you're in for a thousand and one headaches.  One big
>problem I see for you is that with there are multiple ways to describe
>the same layout information.  Will you be able to test for these
>situations and parse them accurately?  Sometimes, there are dimensional
>settings that are included in code which have no bearing in the actual
>rendering of the page: how will you determine when these dimensions
>should and should not be used?  In a nutshell, you're going to have to
>fake the browser idiosyncrasies that Web developers have spent years
>finding workarounds for.

Quite right that is not my aim... cos i ain't that good.

>If your goal is to create a new standard for page description, then maybe
>you have a reachable (and laudible) goal, but for current HTML, I would
>suggest taking a step back and evaluating if you really have that kind of
>time available.

The idea is to build a Metacard browser that can read only HTML that it creates and
can send/ftp to a Metacard enabled web server. The scenario is then that the general
public can read it with their usual browser, but an "author" can read and create in
Metacard.

I was thinking of using CSSP for layouts for users with later browsers, and designing
style sheets that then work and look good for both the MetaCard environment and the
average web user. Template based web authoring, with added ease of dynamic CGI
scripting is what I think is worth aiming for in my life time -:)

Any comments?