Others have already spoken, so I'll just say "amen".

On one of the Windows 98 machines I use, I ran "mcsetup.exe" to install MC in
the default spot (C:\Program Files\Metacard\Program\). Everything is there,
including unlicensed mchome.mc. Then I put my development directory tree,
including my licensed home stack, on another drive. I put a shortcut to my
licensed home in the Windows taskbar, and that's what I use to launch MC. It
always opens with the current directory set to the one where my licensed home
stack lives (since that's the home stack currently running).

I believe the MC installation instructions for Unix recommend putting the
engine/help/tools in a directory where all users have access to it, and then
putting mchome.mc in the user's personal directory. In a multi-developer
environment, that makes tool administration easier - everyone can use the same
copy of MC but still have their own personal home stack (and other stacks of
course).

FWIW.

Phil Davis