on 2/5/01 7:14 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> News to me.  AFAIK, nearly all home printers are inkjets and there
> aren't any printers of that type that support PostScript.

Yes, well I stand corrected. . .we use a Mac RIP server to process raw PS
files to our inkjets, but obviously that's not "for the masses"

> Even the
> majority of laser printers don't support PS but instead use PCL or
> some other proprietary language (PS being too expensive to license and
> requiring a lot more RAM and CPU power than the alternatives).

> Even
> that minority of laser printers that do support PS also have the
> proprietary language and are frequently set up such that they default
> to using the proprietary language unless you make some changes at the
> control panel.  Or am I misinformed somehow?
> Regards,
>   Scott

> PS: yes, I changed the subject header: The old one seemed to have
> nothing to do with any of this ;-)

Thanks for changing the subject header!

Well I am no expert and don't pretend to be. . .as a 25 year Mac user we are
bit spoiled and only "know what works" but not necessarily anything at all
about "how." much less what will be cross platform supportable. . .so. .
.sorry for the fishing expedition, but printing is a key issue as j. pointed
out.

This does work here: Open quark doc or photoshop doc or any doc from any
app. Save under Laserwriter 8 using "save to file" set postscript to level
2-3, binary, include all fonts. Change creator to "prmt" and type to "pjob"
(or maybe it's the other way round. . .have t0 look at my script. copy file
to print monitor docs folder and launch with print monitor. . .and it prints
to any of our laser printers, apple, lexmark, GCC elite or to the RIP
spooler (s) running our  fleet of Espon color proofers (you were right on
that one!)

but you are saying that this would not work on most laser. . .m m m m

But, moot point as you point out. . . you are right, the limitations are
severe. . .we have fully arrived in what was predicted years ago:
"peripheral, driver chaos" one would have to have a disclaimer "only works
on such and such devices" for the print option--not doable for general
distribution. . .oh well. . .I'll be watching the list as solutions develop.
. .Possibly at least for my applications, the new JPEG format that is in the
wings will do the job, at least to take us "beyond the jaggies" for output
giving the sense of "This looks great" and still have a file size we can
live with.

Hinduism Today
Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager