OK, trying here to get this .mt thing going. Metacard is installed on our
San Diego Apache server...

Using the "survey.mt" as a model I created this small script:

#!/usr/local/bin/mc
on start up
   if $REQUEST_METHOD is "POST" then
   read from stdin until empty
   put it into buffer
   put "Content-Type: text/plain" & cr
   put "Content-Length:" && the length of buffer & cr & cr
   put buffer
end startup

We installed it as "test_forms.cgi"

 Metacard is installed on the server...

## the goal being simple to make sure that things are "wired" correctly and
## to just spit back the data to the browser that made the call if we can
## to that, then we know the .mt script is getting the data. Then of course
## doing anything with it will be a metatalk cake walk.

To test that I used  a web form that is currently being processed by a PERL
script:
(see below) I simply switched the call to the .mt script which was renamed
as a .cgi script. It didn't work. Apache said there was an internal error or
a misconfiguration ... Can anyone help me take the next step?
Where did I go wrong? If this *should* have worked, then perhaps we have not
properly installed MC...

Or I have I made a giant wrong assumption in assuming that an .mt script can
"digest" input from any http form/submit/source? i.e.  is that it can only
"hear" POST made from a metacard stack?

=========

<form method="POST"
action="http://www.gurudeva.dynip.com/cgi-bin/test_forms.cgi";>
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="recipient" VALUE="[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="subject" VALUE="CyberCadet Question" SIZE=35>
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="redirect"
VALUE="http://www.gurudeva.org/q_thankyou.html";>
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="required"
VALUE="email,cState-Province,dCountry,eQuestion">

## I snipped out most of the table code.
## This is just standard HTML input fields

        <TD ALIGN=RIGHT><B><font color=red>Email:</font></B></TD>
         <TD><input SIZE="50" NAME="email"></TD>
    <TD ALIGN=RIGHT><B>Name:</B></TD>
        <TD><INPUT TYPE="text" VALUE="" SIZE=50 NAME="aName"></TD>
    </TR>
<TD ALIGN=RIGHT><B><FONT COLOR=RED>Country:</FONT></B></TD>
        <TD><INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="dCountry" VALUE="" SIZE=25 ></TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
        <TD><TEXTAREA ROWS=14  COLS=80 NAME="eQuestion"></TEXTAREA></TD>
    </TR>
</TABLE>

<P ALIGN=CENTER>
<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Submit">