----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Canyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: Fastest Development environment

> >Geoff Canyon wrote/ schreef:
> >
> >>  First, MetaCard surprised me by being able to move 50
32x32 images
> >>  reasonably well. It's not as smooth as JewelToy, but
much better than
> >>  I expected. I'm using images with the fileName
property set to a gif.
> >>  Has anyone tested to see if there's a better option?
> >MMmm, did you try having buttons with the icon set to the
ID of an (already
> >imported) image?
>
> I hadn't, but now I have.
>
> I've now upped the number of images to 100, then to 200,
in an effort
> to break MetaCard's spirit. This is all on a PowerBook G3
400, which
> while no slouch is not a fast machine by today's standard.
MetaCard
> was able to move 100 32x32 images around the screen and
still look
> pretty good doing it. 200 images got me to about 3 frames
per second,
> with noticeable jumps in the movement of the images.
>
> I had to go so far in order to figure out which was
faster: images
> with a reference to an external gif, or buttons with an
icon
> reference to an imported image. The images are a little
bit faster,
> but only a little. One difference is that the images are
noticeably
> faster when some of them are moving offscreen. Obviously
the smart
> thing to do in this circumstance is to not move things
that can't be
> seen by the user. But still, if many of the images are
offscreen,
> images are faster than buttons.

Did you set the 'alwaysBuffer' of each image to true? If
not, that might increase display speed. As the 2.3.2
Metatalk Ref says:

   Setting an image's alwaysBuffer property to true forces
   that image to uncompress its data into a buffer even if
   that image is hidden.  This increases memory usage but
   also decreases the delay before an image appears when
   it is shown.

Phil Davis

> Does anyone know of a way to reliably compare animation
rates? In
> SuperCard, I would use the nudge command. That way I would
know that
> the same number of "frames" were being animated no matter
what and I
> could time the results to compare. As it is, I just added
objects
> until the frame rate became visible, and compared that
way.

> Finally, I tried locking messages while the animation was
happening,
> and this didn't seem to have much of an effect, which
surprised me. I
> expected significant overhead to be reduced if MetaCard
didn't have
> to pay attention to what was happening everywhere and pass
it on to
> my objects. Either the overhead isn't significant, or
locking
> messages doesn't operate at a low enough level to help
this, or my

http://www.mail-archive.com/metacard@lists.runrev.com/
> Please send bug reports to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, not this
list.