Shari,

You could write the code in the startup handler of your app that would
change the value in the Info.pList file, but that would only "take" for
subsequent launches; the first time, the user would see "MetaCard".
That would be better than a permanent useless menu hanging out there. Especially one that doesn't even have my program's name.

I still wonder if it's just another menu btn, why not just insert code to change it or hide it, as I would any other menu btn?

The other way is to ship your standalone to someone with OS X and let them
fix it for you (until you get a copy of OS X of your own).
Not planning to upgrade in the near future. Too many of my programs would break :-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--