Thanks Andu, Richard, Jacqueline, Monte, and Dar:

I'll go back and retry some of these suggestions for the Answer File command. I actually experimented with variations of what you've suggested, but the problem was usually that all files were eligible (not dimmed) for selection; that's a big problem because the utility stack I'm developing indexes big (15 to 220 MB) text files, and opening the wrong one would result in endless churning as MC looks for stuff that isn't there. But as I say, I'll give your variations a shot, and send up a flag if it works.

Thanks,

Greg

Gregory Lypny
Associate Professor