J. Landman Gay wrote:

After reading all the responses, I'm going to vote for this. It seems to me that public domain is the easiest solution, doesn't require any special handling, allows anyone to do anything without legal entanglments, and is just generally easier to manage. So I vote for public domain.

Public Domain (MIT licence) is a good option. Ian Gordon has suggested ways of encouraging people to contibute code back to the main fork if they download form the 'official' site - which seems promising.

Yahoo Groups is a convenient, accessible, free, and neutral option. People can upload files and anyone can get them. It provides a place for discussion or mailing lists if we want them, but doesn't require we use those features. It allows easy transfer of moderatorship from one person to another if the current Poobah decides to hand the reins to someone else. So what about Yahoo?

I'm for hosting a new neutral and open site with MC CGI scripting and direct MC ftp access - adding proper secure moderated Sourceforge backend for official releases - when we get to that stage.

A Yahoo site could get us up and running and I'm not totally against that - we just can't integrate it properly into the MC environment. I really don't like switching back and forth between MC and email / browser stuff - and you cannot integrate the MC IDE into Yahoo groups (I've tried:).

I would really like to see a web site properly integrated into this project and would be prepared to cough up and set it up ( a few paypal donations would help :) I'd then set up a scripted submission from this web site to the Sourceforge CVS (which would be permament, secure and free). Ideally if this proved a useful service RunRev would contribute (to) the hosting costs.