Could they also be done via the auto-open type:

on preOpenStack
  doMyOneStartupThing
  close this stack
end preOpenStack

Cheers

Monte

Well, Monte, and how do you know whether preOpenStack is to run the doMyOneStartupThing and close or whether to open the stack properly (see the example as I just posted in reply to Ken).

I looked at the plugin model used in Rev and found it powerful but overly complicated. I agree with Richard that we should keep things as simple as possible in MC IDE. However, we should still try to make them right.

I am not proposing this new type haphazzardly. I have been "playing" with plugins since b1 and we got as far as b4. In the meantime I have coded a number of plugins of different types and functionality (and envisioned even more). I realized that

a) using libraries as non-libraries is a hack
b) there is no 100% certain way to distinguish when preopenstack is executed from auto-open and from manual open.

Sure, all MC programmers are advanced and we can code hacks in our stacks that do things the way we want them. However, plugin stacks are likely to be shared among other developers, so should be coded more like products. And the framework of the plugin technology we set in place now is not only for today.

Note that there no penalty whatsoever to having the new type. It does not complicate things for using plugin manager either (except for having an extra checkbox in the window). One will use it only when needed.

Robert Brenstein