Howdy Folks,

I'm a bit new to the meteorite world, and when I read Jim Hartman's
Meteorites 101 a couple months ago about etching irons, I had to give it a
try.

I've been etching and re-etching a gibeon slice that I had (with some
visible blade marks that I wanted to grind out), and finally think I'm
getting close to a good etch.

However, I keep getting clouds or haze around trollite inclusions.  The
"rubbing" step seems to help this, but no amount of rubbing makes it fully
go away.

I'm following Jim's instructions as religiously as I know how (including
using hot running tap water - something I was afraid of at first).  I'm
diluting my radio shack etchant about 1:4. Also, I'm only sanding to 400
grit, not 600 or 1200 like some suggest.

Anyone else seen this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jeff