Frank, etc.,

Nope. You didn't understand all of what I said. The first part is right: we don't care if there was a meteor or whether the body doing the accreting had no atmosphere. Once the impactor survives landing, it becomes a meteorite. If it becomes incorporated into a rock as a xenolith, it is still a meteorite (e.g., Brunflo and the Osterplana "fossil" meteorites found in earth rocks, and). BUT, if the rock containing the clast itself becomes a meteorite by being ejected from its parent body and landing somewhere else, then the clast is no longer a meteorite... it's just a clast in a meteorite.

We had to adopt this complex rule because otherwise we'd have to give a meteorite name to every asteroidal xenolith found in an asteroidal meteorite.

The second part of your question should have been phrased:

"On another note, I was wondering what, if any, differences might be expected
in the fusion crusts on meteorites found on Mars as compared to meteorites found on Earth?" (remember, the former are NOT martian meteorites). My answer is, I don't know.

jeff