  From: ROCKS ON FIRE
  To: John Divelbiss
  Cc: Mark Miconi ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 5:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] New Iron Meteorite Finds

  Hi, Mark, John and List,

  thanks for your answers.
  To answer your question regarding Australian chondrites, I am sure there
are as many out there in the outback as there were in NWA. The difference is
just that we have got very tough laws governing the ownership of meteorites.
And they are even different in each State or Territory, and the penalties
are pretty severe. On the other hand, it seems to be a bit more difficult to
train some of our indigenous people to search for them. They have got a
different approach to 'them rocks from the sky' as compared to the nomads in
Morocco.
  So hopefully next time I go 'walkabout' (travel the outback) it may not
yet have been swept cleanout there  and I could even find one. ;-)
  But then perhaps I would have to bury it again 'cause I am not allowed to
take it. :-D  .... Well, we'll go over that bridge when we are there.
  Cheers, Folks and
  --

  Best regards from DOWN-UNDER,

  Norbert & Heike Kammel
      ROCKS ON FIRE
         IMCA #3420
  www.rocksonfire.com

  John Divelbiss wrote:

    Norbert, Mark and list,

    The statistics/estimates suggest somewhere near 86% of all falls are
chondrites...achondrites make up 7%, iron meteorites make up 6%, stony-irons
have the final 1%.

    Not to many pallasites or mesosiderites... anywhere.

    Do the NWA numbers suggest a higher number (%) for the stone totals, and
less for irons and stony-irons? Seems that way. Does anyone know (or even an
idea) about this information?

    John