There are a number of factors that cause the proportion of irons to vary from place to place.  Four important ones are frequency of pairing of finds, human cultural effects, differential weathering rates, and recognizability.

Places like NWA produce many, many separately numbered meteorites that are undoubtedly paired.  The same thing happens in Antarctica.  See Marilyn Lindstrom's analysis of this at:
http://www-curator.jsc.nasa.gov/curator/antmet/ppr/ppr.htm

By number, only 1% of Antarctic meteorite finds are irons.  When corrected for extensive pairing among stony meteorites, this percentage rises to near the 5% value observed among new meteorite falls.

I have also read (I forget who made this claim) that in areas like the Sahara, iron meteorites are likely to have been picked up and used as tools by nonindustrial or preindustrial cultures, whereas stony meteorites were ignored.  Maybe one of you can come up with a reference.  This further lowers the percentage of irons among collections of meteorite finds.  It did not, obviously, affect the Antarctic meteorite population.

The other two effects, differential weathering and the ease with which finders have recognized irons compared to stones, probably aren't that important in northwest Africa, Libya, and Oman.  Weathering rates are low, and people know what to look for.  Other places have been greatly affected by these factors, e.g., the southeast US, where almost all meteorite finds are irons.

jeff