Well one of the parachutists seems to think someone at NASA did debunk it,
since they posted a thank you for the help thanking NASA. I guess they are
making that up too:)

Michael Farmer

Phil Metzger, who has in the past extensively modelled falling debris at Shuttle launches, has used his models to analyze the video. He concludes that while a (large) meteorite at distance cannot be fully excluded, the footage is also consistent with a small rock (pebble size: ~3.3 cm) falling out of the parachute:

http://tinyurl.com/qglu7vp

I agree with Chris: while a meteorite is still a distinct possibility and has therefore not been 100% debunked, the falling pebble from parachute explanation now seems the most likely one.

- Marco

----
Dr Marco (183294) Langbroek
astero...@langbroek.org