In my previous life as a systems librarian at a university, I regularly
attended conferences and user group meetings.  An integral aspect of these
conferences/meetings were educational presentations done by attendees. It
occurred to me that presentations are something that might enhance the
experience of attending the Tucson Show.

For example, while I know that there's nothing I can teach the old hands, there
are a number of things I'm figuring out as a newbie that I think would be of
interest to other newbies.  Here are examples of presentations I would be
willing to do, if the opportunity presented itself:

1) Meteorite collection development plans: what they are and why you should
have one

2) Meteorite storage and display solutions for small (< 40 specimen) collections

And as an *attendee* I would really be interested in presentations from people
doing actual meteorite science about the work they are doing (geared towards an
educated lay audience).  Also, I would be interested in presentations from
dealers about various aspects of meteorite acquisition, classification, and
preparation.

To make this work would require:

A meeting room
--------------
A meeting room at one of the main meteorite venues at the Tucson Show that for
certain times/days could be devoted to presentations.  The room would need to
have a basic presentation set-up: a speaker's table and/or podium with a way to
connect a computer to a projector and chairs for the audience.  The Tucson show
lasts two weeks, but I would anticipate that the presentations part would only
be for one or maybe two days.

Organization
------------
Someone to:
- Put out a call for presenters, and
- Based on response, determine how many time slots were needed, and
- Assign presentations to time slots in schedule and notify presenters, and
- Put out a presentation schedule with titles/abstracts prior to Tucson show
- Prepare meeting room for presentations
- Assist presenters with use of meeting room equipment

While the organization of this could be done by volunteers (I would be willing
to volunteer my time), reserving a meeting room would incur a cost.  Perhaps
the IMCA would have funds in their budget to subsidize this and would consider
taking this on. Another option would be to charge a nominal registration fee to
attend this "seminar" portion of the show.  Again, I think this would only last
a day or maybe two.

If you think this idea has merit, I have some questions for you...

As an attendee, what topics in meteoritics and/or meteorite collecting would
you be interested in learning about?

Would you consider being a presenter?  If so, what topic(s) would you consider
doing a presentation on?

Would you be willing to pay a registration fee to attend a short
meteoritics/meteorite collecting seminar during the Tucson show?

If you would rather respond directly to me rather than the list, I can
compile/summarize those responses for the list.

Thank you,

-- Michael

ps I've spent a fair amount of time going through the Meteorite Central list
archive.  I've not seen any proposals like this, but it's possible I have
missed those threads.  If so, I would appreciate hearing about any "lessons
learned" from previous attempts.

Michael Doran
Fort Worth, TX