At 07:11 PM 7/13/03 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Steve Schoner:

I hated e-bay when it first started, I hated it when
meteorites started to appear there-- and I hate it
now, with or without the new format.

I will not sell meteorites there, even if it means it
is the last place on earth to sell them.

Gregory wrote:

[snip]And ebay (like it or not) may well be responsible for bringing more meteorite-consciousness to the public, and thus producing more collectors and enthusiasts, than any other single influence since Dr. Nininger.

Gregory

Gregory and List,

Ebay may well be the major influencing factor for the drop in prices (value) of meteorites as well. The worldwide market created through Ebay for meteorites like Sikhote-Alin in turn stimulated the increased level of hunting the strewnfield. The glut of these irons soon followed and the short term prices plummeted. Those folks who stashed away quality specimens will see higher prices in the future, but the current market is dismal and will be for some time. Brahin and Chinga are a couple of others that went the same direction because of bulk listings on Ebay and world-wide access on the internet.

Most of us have a love/hate relationship with Ebay. When I first started selling items on Ebay (underwater camera equipment) seven or eight years ago, it was a seller's market for sure, with used items often selling for more than new retail items. A few years later when I started selling meteorites on Ebay, it was still a sellers market. Ask dealers like Mike Farmer about the terrific prices the sellers were getting on common items like Canyon Diablo and Gibeon. Now, the pendulum has swung the other way and it's definitely a buyers market. Prices have dropped so low on most meteorites that dealers have a hard time making even a small profit on Ebay. If you're primarily a collector, this is a good thing, but if your a seller, it's very frustrating.

Best,

John