Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Apparent Meteorite Lands In Elma High

Tom wrote:

Hello Marcie, you asked;
Do they rapidly cool after initial impact ? Also, why, in the case of
the "Columbia" retrieval, were people warned not to touch fragments, as
they were hazardous?

I think the reason was two fold, the one they gave, Hazardous fuel from the
tanks could of contaminated the pieces. Two, They wanted to scare the people
in an effort to keep them from taking pieces home!
About the fall, the witness's claim to see have seen the

Hello Tom, Marcie, and List,

I think I would be more to believe the second reason.  Although one could understand why NASA would make such a statement, its hard for me to imagine that most of the fumes would not evaporate during its decent.

Mark Bostick