Hi List,

I have recently been playing around with ‘Listening to meteors’ using a radio receiver and thought I would share my findings….

For those interested here is what you do :

1. Get a radio with ‘USB’ (upper Side band)  a radio such as a ‘Scanner’ or good shortwave receiver will do (with a reasonable antenna)

2. Tune the radio to a station that just below your Horizon (i.e >60 miles away) and that is transmitting a ‘continuous tone’ (such as a television ‘carrier’ signal which sounds like a continuous tone),  in the UK ~48.25 Mhz is good since this is east Europe’s television frequency,  (but you will probably need to search on the net for a station that is just below your horizon)

3. Having Tuned the radio to a continuous station, you Listen for changes in the tone, when a meteor arrives it reflect some of the radio signal and causes you to hear a distinct   PING’ as the signal is altered by the smoke trail.

You can expect to typically hear about 10 meteors per hour on a typical day, but during a meteor shower even as many as 1 every several seconds!   But of course most of them simply burn up well before reaching the ground.

Now If only we had some way of logging time against particularly loud pings over a large area then we might be able to prove a fall took place at a certain time, if witnesses knew the time of a fall we could go back and double check the records! Maybe even an automated email alert system telling us of possible new falls!

Hope this is of some interest to someone, it really is fun to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon!

Mark Ford