From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 11:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Iranian Fireball Was Of Geophysical Origin

This topic was discussed a few weeks ago on the list, and it seems pretty convincing that Earth parented meteorites are elusive for good scientific reasoning - it seems that if conditions to produce them happened, that the material would be glass or a split planet Earth (a la did the moon come from Earth question we had recently).

While it may be possible (though statistically highly improbable), it is important not to say it is "a bit of a stretch", "just like we have Martian meteorites here".

Those statements taken together are misleading, to say the least.

It is important to recognize that Earth and Mars are so different regarding atmospheric density (over 100X) / viscosity and to a much lesser degree gravity, that such an analogy is not based on astronomy and physics, but rather wishful thinking, with a general ignoring of scientific principles - i.e. a solution (Earth parented meteorites exist because I can think it and there are Martian meteorites here) looking for a problem (Why no one has ever confirmed an Earth parented meteorite).

Extending that logic, I would ask where the Solar parented meteorites are at, and while we are at it the Jovian parented  and Venusian parented meteorites as well.  The conditions on Mars simply do not lend themselves for comparison to Earth.  Venus is a better comparison for Earth.  Perhaps someone could work out the physics to show what sort of impactor on Earth is capable of causings something besides glass and giving it escape velocity.

Without doing the physics, it is clear it would have to be a kilometer plus sized impactor imparting in an instant to a kilometer plus sized Earth rock escape velocity plus frictional loss velocity, which further does not explode with that velocity at sea level as it makes its way through the exponientially most dense part of the atmosphere (i.e. a "reverse meteorite") at a right or obtuse angle to the impact (which tends to create a velocity vector landing back on Earth).  While this might sound "plausible", for an impactor to produce a kilometer plus sized rock with such a velocity seems nearly impossible, knowing the characteristics of Earth surface features.

To actually achieve the above, either ground zero has to become liquid or plasma eventually producing glasses, for which there is some evidence in tektites, or Earth must be split like a nut, for which the Moon was presented as evidence in such a hypothethised impact around 4.5 billion years ago....

So that would leave a scenario of a gigantic impactor hitting near the base of a Mount Everest made of solid iron or other high tensile type structure, incoming at a low entry angle, and propelling the peak into outer space.

In the case of Mars objects over 10 meters (but probably in the realm 500 km) can impact whole much more readily and produce "reverse meteorites" with the initial velocities potentially conducive to this event which can escape more readily as gravity (and hence resulting escape velocities) is less than 40% Earth's.  Furthermore Mars is closer to the Asteroid belt and is expected to have more flux of such potential impacts.

Saludos
Doug Dawn
Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 02/13/2004 8:21:52 AM Mexico Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribe:

and bit of a stretch.. but plausible:  Just like we have
Martian meteorites here on earth, so would we not have some of the
ejecta from our terrestrial impacts also in orbit around the Sun