I know that old glass bottles (besides going purple) will also develop a metallic rainbow patina from being exposed to UV radiation and weak acids, as they might encounter after years in a dump. Considering that tektites have been around for thousands of years longer than man-made glass, it's not surprising that some would develop the same 'fumed' effect.

Tracy Latimer

The last post clarifies the question a bit. A few years ago I received a large shipment of Lei gong mo. Included with these were a couple of dozen specimens with strong carnival-glass-like patinas, a full rainbow of submetallic colors. I have seen weaker examples of this sort of patina on old bottles that have been through fires. My guess was that the tektites may have been through a warehouse fire or some such thing. Clearly there is some process that will cause tektites to develop carnival-glass type films, and I don't think it is a natural process or we would see this more often. While not exactly a change in the glass color, this can yield a profound change in appearance. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows anything about the manufacture of carnival glass.

Cheers,

Norm Lehrman
(http://tektitesource.com)