Hello to everyone & evreybody!

I've been off for more than a month, for a trip in the Sahara Desert, where I was expecting to find some new meteorites... We were three cars leaving from France, and after a few days needed to reach our "target", we started moving around and started by finding some neolithic stone tools and fulgurites. But the strewnfield of meteorites was still some hundreds of km further, when one of the other cars had a mechanical breakdown. Too much electronic devices in this car, and we could not find any solution to make it run again. One solution only was possible: to make a U-turn, towing that car back to the ferry in Tunis. It took us more than a week, and we finally managed to bring it back.
But then, what is the result of that trip? No meteorite as you can imagine... Or maybe one stone that is doubtfull and that I brought back, but I have not much hope. I'll show it soon to the MNHN in Paris. But some beautiful neolithic stone tools, such as arrow heads, axes, grinding bowls & grinders, etc... and also a nice batch of fulgurites. I'll show some on our website as soon as possible, but even before that, should some of you be interested in getting some pics, you can e-mail us and I'll come back to you! I will also put some pictures of the expedition on line.

Anyway, this experience shows that meteorites are not that easy to find. Even when one knows where to go, he's never sure to reach the place. He's not even sure to find any when reaching the place. We were quite lucky the previous times we went hunting in the Sahara, and this time I guess we were quite lucky to bring back the faulty car, as we had to cross some dunes on our way,which was not an easy job for my friend who was towing it...

So, sorry for not being able to show some new meteorites this time, but we'll go again as soon as possible, hoping that we'll be more successful! In the meantime, we wait for our new classified meteorites to be published in the Meteoritical Bulletin, including one ureilite and a nice tiny impact melt that we found in November 2002, and we'll let you know as soon as they will appear in MB #88.

All the best to you!

Frédéric Beroud
www.meteoriteshow.com
IMCA #2491