About 6 weeks ago the US Navy and allies concluded RIMPAC, the annual war games conducted in the waters around Hawaii for several weeks. During that time, we saw a Sea Stallion leading a destroyer through the Auai Channel between Maui and Lanai. Periodically, the helicopter would dunk a sonobuoy in the water; obviously the exercise du jour was to locate an 'enemy' sub in the area. We also saw a LA class sub go tearing out of Lahaina harbor at what must have been 35-40 knots, then the skipper opened her up.

Possibly you found something from one of the many sonobuoys that must have been deployed in the area, although I'm fairly sure the Navy does a good cleanup job on their toys. It could also be a tracking device from marine research; biologists love to tag whales, seals, turtles, and anything else that moves through Hawaiian waters.

Tracy Latimer

Here's a link to the picture:

http://tektitesource.com/pictures/offTopics/BeachBug1.jpg

(you'll have to copy this and past it into your address line)

Anybody have any ideas???  I'm thinking it would serve
as a great starting place for a novel (for all I know
it's still broadcasting right now and secret agents
are converging on this location----)

Cheers,
Norm Lehrman