OK, I think I see the subtle difference. I have had to re-read Dr. Rubin's post
several times to get the picture (Thanks to MikeG, too). Simplified, an
asteroid slams into another planetary body right to the iron core and  forms
mesosiderites. That part I knew, but when smaller iron asteroids slams onto
larger rocky asteroids the surface layer  forms the silicated irons. I would
have thought that would also form mesosiderites, too. Hmmm. Very interesting.

Thank you, Dr. Rubin.

Carl