From: Shawn Alan <photoph...@yahoo.com>
To: Michael Blood <mlbl...@cox.net>
Cc: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
Sent: Sun, July 25, 2010 8:06:54 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Statement re LOST CITY-first meteorite fall to be
photographedin the USA :)

YO

Michael,

When you have the chance if you haven't already read Mike Bandli post about
this
topic. If not here is a copy n past, and Mike thank you for the post.

"This isn't the first time the Pasamonte photo topic has come up on the list.
There was a good thread on this in June 2003 in the archives. As pointed out
then, C.C. Wylie (Pop. Astronomy, 1950) argued against the Pasamonte photo
being an actual photo of the fireball itself, but instead, the luminous
train.

A quote from Marco Langbroek of Dutch Meteor Society citing some of Wylie's
work: "The photograph was taken by a ranch foreman. He was inside the house
when alerted by a bright flash outside. He picked up his camera, went
outside to a spot with clear view, and took the picture. He actually opened
the shutter while still walking... Given the sequence related, it is likely
that it pictures the bright persistent train rather than the fireball
itself."

Michael, either way you look at it Lost City was the first USA meteorite fall
be photographed to show the meteor in flight. The image from 1933 is only the
smoke trail due to the meteor in flight. The image doesn't show any evidence of
the meteor like how the Lost City photography does. SO that image is more or
less an image of the after effects of a meteor in flight, aka smoke trail and
luminocity.

 I am going by evidence and photographs and  Marco Langbroek of Dutch Meteor
Society cited some of Wylie's work also agrees about how the 1933 image " is
likely that it pictures the bright persistent train rather than the fireball
itself."

 All and all,  from this, I learned about a new meteorite and some history
behind it and got some good research in.

SA