From: methods-boun...@oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:methods-boun...@oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Hiranya Roychowdhury
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:29 PM
To: DK; meth...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: RE: RNA shipment

I had found one sure way to avoid degradation during shipment and/or storage is
to dissolve it in DMFA.  It can subsequently be re-precipitated from it.  I
agree with Dima that the radiation has to be rather high intensity to break the
RNA during routine X-ray (then again, I am not sure what the intensity these
days are.  I opt out of the scanner at the airports).  Thick lead containers
may be used to eliminate that possibility (secondary emissions from thin lead
foils may prove harmful too).

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Health & Public Services