Hi Cathal,

I had a problem with Kan selection a year or so ago where I was seeing lots
of pappilation (cells mutating to Kan resistance). At the time I was using
50 ug/ml which was/is the recommended dose. I tested several concentrations
of Kan and a dose to 100 ug/ml in the plates seemed to solve the problem.
Now when transforming I use 100ug/ml in the plates and that seems to
provide a strong enough selection that I don't see any spontaneous Kan
resistant colonies.

Your DH10B stock seems pretty old, and you may have inadvertantly selected
for cells that were resistant to low levels of Kan. I usually only keep
cells on LB plates in the fridge for a couple of weeks at most-anerobic
stabs last longer, a couple of months at least. For longer term storage you
really need -80 or vapor phase liquid Nitrogen, or even lyophilization.

Cells that are metabolicly active change over time - it's the nature of the
beast!

Tom